I know it doesn't have to be a garden apron, but I've been really REALLY thinking about Spring lately, so my mind is outside.
You could use this apron as a normal apron, or as a craft apron. It would be really good for teacher's, too!
You will need:
-A bandana (I got mine at WALMART for $1)
-some ribbon (or in my case, some bias tape)
-A sewing machine/needle and thread
1. Iron your bandana if you crunched it up and shoved it in your craft desk drawer like I did.
2. Fold the bottom of the bandana up about 8 inches (adjust if this doesn't work for you, of course) and pin in place on the sides.
3. Sew the sides and make sure to backstitch over them to secure.
4. Sew a straight stitch right up the middle to make 2 pockets, if you want to. See the light stitched line in the middle? That's what you do. But you could also divide it into 3 pockets if you'd like to.
5. Fold the top of the bandana over about 1 inch, pin in place and sew to make a casing.
6. Pull your ribbon through the casing. I used the safety pin method, although this is such a giant gaping casing that you can probably do whatever you want to get that ribbon through.
Excuse the chipping nail polish in a terrible coral color. Actually, I like the obnoxiousness that it lends to my ugly hands :)
There's a lot more with this that you can do:
<3Give it as a gift filled with canning tools for the home canner/pickler you know and love
<3Fill it with art supplies and give it as a gift to your favorite artsy fartsy kid or adult
<3Fill it with seeds and a few garden tools and give it to your favorite gardener
<3Make it super manly, and fill it with some tools and shop rags and give it to the handy man in your life!